Smith-Pletcher Post 779

Here is information on how to obtain Military Discharge Records. 


The Centre County Government Veterans Affairs Office is the best place to start.  Brian Querry is the Director.  His contact information is below:


Centre County Government


Veterans Affairs Office


Willowbank Office Building                                                                        Brian Querry

420 Holmes Street, Room 333                                                     

Bellefonte, PA. 16823                                                                                           Director


Phone:  (814)355-6812

Fax:      (814)548-1144







Brian has been very helpful in assisting some of our new members obtain discharge records for deceased family members.  Call Brian at 814-355-6812 or email him at





Brian can assist you with every phase of the process and provide you with all of the forms and even fill them out on line for you.


If you want to use an on-line form to request the records go to:


Evetrecs is a simple easy to use on line request form that you can complete in a few minutes.  You will need some basic information such as: the branch of service, a service number, a date of birth, and the approximate time the veteran was discharged.  Brian can help you with this process in his office.


If you want to pursue the process on your own, the following information will assist you.  You can do everything on your own without a computer.   





Military Record Requests: Standard Form SF-180

1. How to Obtain Standard Form 180 (SF-180),
   Request Pertaining to Military Records

There are several ways to obtain an SF-180. You can: 

a. Pick one up here at Post 779.  Ask for the Post Commander or  Adjutant and we can assist you.  We have copies here in the Post and someone to help you fill out the forms.  Contact the Commander Mary Martin or the Post Adjutant Dave Putnam for assistance.


b.  Go to the National Archives Record Center's website to learn everything about obtaining a copy of the records you need.

This is their website.  You can get to it by clicking on the web address with your mouse or cutting and pasting the address in your web browser.

     Download and print a copy of the SF-180 in PDF format.

The forms can be obtained at:


c. Write to The National Personnel Records Center
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, Missouri 63132


2. Information that you will need to complete the forms: Requests must contain enough information to identify the record among the more than 70 million on file at NPRC (MPR). Certain basic information is needed to locate military service records. This information includes:

Please submit a separate request (either SF 180 or letter) for each individual whose records are being requested.